Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Mud Season Blues

After yesterday's beautiful weather, we are once again stuck inside a la mud season style. Days like this bring out contradictory feelings of both dread and wishful hoping for more sunny days to come. While yesterday's indoor tasks faltered, rainy days like today pull me back in, forcing me to play catch-up with the week's laundry, vacuuming, etc. While it's a wonderful opportunity for cleaning, it's tough to get over the darkness outside, especially with 2 active children in the house. Everything takes just a little bit longer, with the inevitable "I'm bored" and "there's nothing to do in the house." It doesn't matter how many toys are sitting idle on the shelves, they are just not enough to fill the empty void left by dark looming clouds, overhead. I'm constantly having to pause and use whatever creativity I have left in my head, to gain 10 more minutes of concentration. I've learned to accept, on days like this, that I will not always finish what I start. The goal is to not give up or give in to the temptation to say, "screw it all" and plop down on the couch, in front of the tv. It's a battle of wills, stopping and starting, trying to squeeze in 1 more task, before someone realizes I'm not paying enough attention to them. Even the cats are extra snugly, rubbing my legs, trying to distract me from what I've set out to do. All I can do is turn up the lights, crank the tunes, and set the example that today will be a glorious day.

No comments:

Post a Comment