1 1/2 c. Sugar (or 1 c. Sugar + 1/2 c. Honey)
1 c. Oil
3 Large Eggs
1 t. Vanilla
1/2 c. Unsweetened Chunky Applesauce (I use Musselman's brand)
2 c. Traditional or White Whole Wheat Flour
2 t. Ground Cinnamon
1 t. Baking Soda
1/2 t. Salt
For Carrot Cake: 3 c. Shredded Carrots (about 5 medium)
For Apple Cake: 3 c. Diced Apples (about 3 medium, cored and peeled)
1 c. Coarsely Chopped Walnuts
1/2 c. Raisins*
*Add raisins to a bowl/cup of hot water for 10-15 min to moisten. Drain & set aside.
1 pkg (8 oz) Cream Cheese, softened
1/4 c. (1/2 stick) Butter, softened
2-3 T. Milk
1 t. Vanilla
2 c. Powdered Sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease bottom and sides of pan (use 9"x13" rectangle, 2 - 8" rounds, or approx. 18 muffin tins)
- Beat together sugar, oil, eggs, vanilla, and applesauce.
- Add remaining ingredients, except carrots/apples, walnuts, and raisins. Beat on low until well blended.
- Mix in carrots/apples, walnuts, and raisins.
- Pour into pan. If using muffin tins, fill to 2/3 full.
- Bake rectangle for 40-45 min, rounds for 30-35 min, or muffins for 15-20 min., or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool 10-15 min and then, remove from pan(s) to wire racks. Cool approx. 1 hr before frosting.
- Cream together cream cheese, butter, vanilla, and sugar.
- Whisk in milk 1 T. at a time, to desired consistency. Frosting will thicken as it cools.
- Pour/spread over cake/muffins. If using rounds, spread small amount of frosting over 1 round, to coat evenly. Top with 2nd round and spread remaining frosting over top and sides.
- Optional: Sprinkle a few chopped walnuts over top as decoration.
- Important: Store frosted cake/muffins in the refrigerator.