Wednesday, September 7, 2011
Favorite Recipes - Cinnamon Rolls with Vanilla Glaze (modified for Bread Machine)
*WARNING* - These are neither low fat, nor low sugar. But, they are oh so good. :-)
Due to the amount of time it takes to make these and also, the fact that they're not the healthiest option, I make this recipe only for special occasions or by request. When I do make them, however, they are always a big hit.
1 c. Water, Room Temp
1/4 c. (1/2 stick) Butter, Softened
1/3 c. Sugar
1 Large Egg
1 t. Salt
3 1/2 c. All-Purpose or Bread Flour (I use Unbleached, White Whole Wheat flour)
1 1/2 t. Active Dry Yeast (not Quick Rising Yeast)
1/4 c. Butter, Melted
1/4-1/2 c. Sugar (optional)
1/4-1/2 c. Cinnamon
Ingredients (Vanilla Glaze):
1/4 c. Butter, Softened
2 c. Powdered Sugar
1 1/2 t. Vanilla
2-4 T. Hot Water
- Add all ingredients, except yeast, to the bread machine, as ordered above.
- Make a small well in the middle of the flour and add yeast, making sure to avoid contact with wet ingredients.
- Set the bread machine on the dough setting and start (should take 1 1/2 hrs).
- Turn machine dough on to floured surface and knead a few times to remove any bubbles.
- Using a rolling pin or by hand-stretching, roll dough to approx. 10"x15". I use a similar sized cutting board as a guide.
Add Filling as Follows:
- Pour melted butter over top of rolled out dough.
- Using a pastry brush, gently spread butter to evenly coat entire dough surface.
- Sprinkle/shake cinnamon over dough to evenly coat (approx. 1/4-1/2c). Follow with sugar, in the same manner, if desired.
- Using a pastry brush or your hands, gently work together the filling over the dough, to evenly coat the surface. Be careful not to rip the dough.
- At this point, decide whether you want a higher amount of smaller rolls or a small amount of large rolls.
- Roll up the dough on the longer side for small rolls or on the shorter side for large rolls.
- Using a sharp knife or string, cut 1" sections along the dough roll. You should end up w/approx. 8 large rolls or 12 small rolls.
- Place rolls on side in greased 9"x13" baking dish and cover loosely with plastic wrap.
- Allow to rise in a warm location for approx. 30 min or until rolls have doubled in size.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 min or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 10-15 min, before adding glaze, if desired.
- For glaze, mix well all ingredients listed. Pour over rolls and allow to soak in 10-15 min before serving.
- Serve Warm. If consuming the next day, warm individual rolls in the microwave for 10-15 seconds, for best taste.